FG can’t account for $14.6bn oil money – Aregbesola

Rauf Aregbesola

The Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, on Friday accussed President Goodluck Jonathan of failing to account for $14.6bn oil proceeds for the period from July 2013 to July 2014.

Aregbesola said this when the vice-presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, led the ‘Walk for Change’ campaign rally to Akure.

The rally, which was organised by the Buhari-Osinbajo Campaign Organisation, was meant to solicit the support of Akure residents ahead of next month’s general elections.

Aregbesola at the rally accused the Federal Government of displaying incompetence in handling the funds that accrued to the country from oil exploration.

He said the excuse of crude oil theft was assailable because President Jonathan, as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, had the requisite security apparatus to stop oil theft.

“$40m worth of crude oil is being stolen every day, amounting to $14.6bn since 2013 even when the contract to protect the oil pipelines has been given to a former militant leader,” the governor said.

Aregbesola told the APC members and supporters that the money that had been stolen in the last one year was enough to pay allocation of all the states of the federation for four years.

He said, “The amount that has been stolen in the last one year is N2.2tn. The money is enough to bring development to all the states of the federation.”

He urged the people to vote for APC so that the public funds currently going into private pockets would be used to develop the country.

In his remarks, Osinbajo promised that the elderly and the poor would earn income when APC ascends the Presidency.

The APC Chairman in Ondo State, Mr. Isaac Kekemeke, hailed the people for their large turnout and urged them to vote the party in the next elections.

Leave a Reply